In downtown Winnipeg is Upper Fort Garry Heritage Park. Upper Fort Garry was a Hudson’s Bay Company trading post at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers in what is now downtown Winnipeg. It was established in 1822 on or near the site of the North West Company’s Fort Gibraltar established by John Wills in 1810 and destroyed by Governor Semple’s men in 1816 during the Pemmican War. Fort Garry was named after Nicholas Garry, deputy governor of the Hudson’s Bay Company. It served as the centre of fur trade within the Red River Colony. In 1826, a severe flood destroyed the fort. It was rebuilt in 1835 by the HBC and named Upper Fort Garry to differentiate it from “the Lower Fort,” or Lower Fort Garry, 32 km downriver, which was established in 1831. Throughout the mid-to-late 19th century, Upper Fort Garry played a minor role in the actual trading of furs, but was central to the administration of the HBC and the surrounding settlement. The Council of Assiniboia, the administrative and judicial body of the Red River Colony mainly run by Hudson’s Bay Company officials, met at Upper Fort Garry.
In the park is a heritage wall. The wall is made out of steel and using LED lights historical events are depicted along the wall. Audio is also provided.