Hangovers are a horrid part of existence. They make you question your sanity as to why you indulged in that debauchery the night before. But as social animals many people use booze, beer, liquor or any other type of alcoholic drink to let loose and relieve the stress.
That is the strange part about drinking. You basically go from sweet ecstasy to the pits of hell in a 12 hour period. The intermediate part is a deep comatose like sleep. But when that alarm goes off in the morning the brain and body will let you know you acted very badly the night before. And you will pay with great suffering. Especially if you have to get into work.
Easy tasks become confounding stress filled predicaments. When you speak to co-workers you call them by the wrong names. And the constant rush to the water cooler to fill the bottle up, which in turn leads to constant trips to the can. And your work performance diminishes to that of an intelligent chimp. The constant self-loathing, mumbling rabid insults about your own stupidity to yourself.
So we conclude that we will never do that again. Until the emails start that the gang wants to get together to watch a big hockey game. And the sauce will be flowing hard again.
Here are some possible cures:
- Sleep. Rest is your best friend at this point to give your body time to recover. It is best to stay in bed so call in to work if you have to, tell them you have the stomach flu. You will sound so horrible on the phone they may believe you (unless they saw you at the bar, not a good idea then).
- Replenish your body with fruit juice and water.
- Avoid caffeine. A weak cup of coffee may be okay but a lot of caffeine will continue to dehydrate you, the opposite of what you want right now.
- Drink orange juice for Vitamin C.
- Drink a sports drink like Gatorade or Powerade.
- Eat mineral rich food like pickles or canned fish.
- In Poland, drinking pickle juice is a common remedy.
- Drink a Bloody Mary. While the popular phrase “hair of the dog that bit you” may sound logical with a shot of whiskey left in the bottle next to your bed, it’s only temporary. Try a Bloody Mary instead, while your blood is dealing with the new alcohol it is ignoring the old and in the mean time tomato juice and celery are full of vitamins. If you drank the last of the vodka make a Virgin Mary. Another spicy morning after drink option is Hair of the Dog, in which gin and hot sauce are sure to bite your hangover back.
- Take a shower, switching between cold and hot water.
- In Ireland it was said that the cure for a hangover is to bury the ailing person up to the neck in moist river sand.